Friday, November 12, 2010

Photos from the new Archtop Build

After the 'my week in pictures' posts, I got a lot of feedback from people asking to see more photos of the new achtop build. So here's a quick update...

Sometimes it's hard to visualize the final product without actually creating it. I took a chance on these f-holes...I wasn't sure that I liked the shape of them, but I decided to cut them out anyway. Unfortunately when it was all said and done, I didn't like the f-hole at all. So I put the top away while I worked on building up the ring. Long story short, I pulled the top out this week and and spent some time with a pencil drawing out ideas to help the f-hole design. This is what I came up with. I think it works!



It was pretty hard to inlay the design however. I spend quite a few hours hunched over the work bench!



After getting the f-hole situation sorted out. I got started on the braces. Because the top is arched, you have to shape the braces to the contours of the top, It takes a bit of time to get it right. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of the fitting process. Here are the rough braces fit and glued to the inside of the top.



Once the braces are glued you have to shape them. The shaping helps to tune the sound of the guitar. Here, I'm just getting started.






Everything is starting to sound pretty good! I'm almost done






Here's the top is ready to be glued onto the ring which I built a week or so ago.



The top I glued on!



So now it's time to glue the back.



Here's the finished archtop box next to the flat top. Now that I have them both to the same point, I'll push them forward together.






Now it's time to do some neck building!

No comments: