Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Archtop and Flat-top Get Their Necks.

Hi everybody I just wanted to post a quick update. The two guitars are progressing nicely, and
I'm getting close to having finished instruments!


I used the old inner tube trick to glue the binding onto the peghead of the flat-top neck...

...And the same for the Archtop



Then it was time to get to work carving both necks. This is one of my favorite parts of the guitar building process. For some reason putting a contour on the neck marks the point at which the guitar begins to feel like an instrument and not just a hunk of wood. It might be because the neck is really the main interaction point of the instrument, sure you need the body to amplify the sound, but the shape and feel of the neck really informs your sense of the guitar....at least it does for me. Anyway...it's a dusty job, but I love it!


I start by roughing out the shape with a rasp...



...And then I fine tune things with a cabinet scraper.

After a bit of sanding, I give it a coat of shellac to seal things up.


I go through the same process for the Flat-top neck.

After carving, I usually like to let the necks sit for a day or so, and then re-check them for lumps and bumps I may have missed. Over the next few days I'll refine them a bit more...


Here's a little preview, I'm getting close!

No comments: